Monday, August 2, 2010

Blueberries

I have never gone blueberry picking until last Friday.  Lily & I went blueberry picking with my friend Sharon and her kids.  (Ian was fishing with his grandfather.)  We went picking at Cudney Farm during their U-Pick Blueberry Fundraising Event.  All proceeds were donated to the Western New York Land Conservancy. 

It was a beautiful day.  As soon as you would get hot, the sun would go behind the clouds and you would cool off. While we were there Channel 7 news was their filming us picking the blueberries.  We ended up on the 6:00 news' piece about the fund-raising event.
Lily did fantastic!  I was only going to do one quart because Jeff & Lily really don't eat them unless they are in something, but when I looked over Lily had a quart container 1/2 full.  So I decided to fill both her's and mine and get 2 quarts.  I LOVE blueberries.  Who am I kidding, I LOVE most fruits. 

I decided to make a Blueberry Coffee Cake Sunday morning with some of the blueberries.
I got the recipe for the coffee cake from my mom.  The original coffee cake recipe is from her 1969 Betty Crocker Cookbook, which has a few variations.


Favorite Coffee Cake (Blueberry Buckle version)

Cake Ingredients
2 cups Flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening (I used butter)
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 cups well drained blueberries

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease round layer pan, 9x1 1/2 inches, or square pan, 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches.  (Note: I used a 8x8x2 pan.  My mother uses a 9x13 inch pan and bakes for less time.  I will probably make it next time in a 9x13)  Blend all ingredients except blueberries; beat vigorously for 1/2 minute.  Carefully stir blueberries into batter. 

Sprinkle Topping (recipe below) over batter in pan.  Bake for 45 to 50min.  (until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean)

Topping Recipe:
Mix together 1/2 sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup soft butter.

*A side note:  I measured out all of my dry ingredients and left out my butter the night before I made this.

The coffee cake was yummy!!  I have frozen blueberries to make another one and some muffins this winter.

I am linking to these fabulous parties, here.
My Signature

34 Sweet Comments:

Mamí♥Picture said...

Oh yummy for my tummy!

Liz Mays said...

I am so surprised that you'd never gone blueberry picking before!!!

The way you did your photos looks fantastic, by the way. I would like to know how to do that!!! Teach us.

Maria said...

Beautiful pictures, as usual! Looks like a really fun, summer activity. I'll have to try your recipe!

Martina said...

So pretty these pix - oh, i crave some blueberries now, and cake, and coffee ;)

lisa said...

recipe looks simple and the end result looks delicious. I will have to try it.

AmyZ said...

so you didn't pick 32 pounds like i did??? what is the matter with you?? if you need anymore blueberries this winter give me a ring and i will run them over! LOL

Jami said...

I'm always on the look out for new blueberry recipes. My godmother has a blueberry farm and I end up with LOTS of fresh & frozen berries! You must have some fun ideas for wrapping gifts, too! I hope you'll stop by my PRETTY PACKAGES PARTY and share some of your talent! Be sure to grab a button for a reminder!
http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2010/08/first-ever-pretty-packages-party.html
smiles!

ps. I'm your newest follower!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

How fun! Being from Phoenix I am always so jealous of those that get to pick their own fruit! We have very few opportunities for that! Looks like you had so much fun. Your recipe looks amazing as well!
Rebecca@RootsAndWingsCo

Ashlee Marie said...

This looks great, while I'm not a blueberry fan my husband and kids are so I'll have to try them! I'd love it if you'd link up to my Topsy Turvy Tuesday's tomorrow!

Wendy Irene said...

This was too funny! This weekend I told my husband I wanted to take the kids to a farm and he said the only farm we can go to is a blueberry farm right now so he declined. It looks pretty awesome in your pics! Thanks for sharing! :-)

raggygirlvintage said...

Sounds delish! I've never made it with the sprinkle topping before, I'll give it a try for sure!
Tracey

Unknown said...

That looks like so much fun, and your coffee cake looks delicious!
Cool you made it on the news too!

Mad in Crafts said...

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

Petula said...

Looks like fun picking! How cool that the news was there? Did you record it?

I've never had blueberry coffee cake. That sounds good.

Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

I love blueberries!!! well i only love cooked blueberries!! i just make blueberry muffins this weekend! i cant wait to make these!! I've also never went blueberry picking.... strawberries yes, blackberries yes... blueberries no :(

I am also following u know

Sharon said...

We were on the 11 o'clock too!!! You were on at 11!!! Let me know if you didn't record that one! =)

Brian + Cheryl B. said...

Hi :-) I stopped by via your link-up on Sumo's Sweet Stuff. Blueberry cakes, muffins, pies, pancakes ... it's all good!

SandyS said...

Blueberry Buckle has been a family favorite for years! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Blueberry picking is so much fun. I'll have to look into that farm and maybe head there sometime. That coffee cake looks amazing.

jayayceeblog said...

Wow, a memory making fun event AND dessert! You can't beat that. =)

Annette Piper said...

Yummo! I've never seen blueberries on the bush so you've educated me as well as got my mouth watering!!

Serendiptiy is Sweet said...

Yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

Recetas al instante said...

wow looks so good.
Regards
olga.

amieggs said...

that looks so yummy!!!! I'll have to try =D

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious and it's great the kiddoes had a part! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday at PonyTails&FishScales!

Lindsay Thomas said...

Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum and a million more. I will FOR SURE make these! Thank you for sharing!

Inspired2cook said...

Your coffee cake looks delicious!
http://www.inspired2cook.com/

Miri said...

This looks delicious!

I love Betty Crocker...all my family's favorite cakes and pie come from her cookbooks...the older cookbooks are the best!

Unknown said...

This looks DELICIOUS! Yum! I love blueberries.

Thanks for linking up at www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You are a favorite this week at It's Party Time Thursday at PonyTails&FishScales!

Leslie said...

I have never been blueberry picking either! It looks like fun! The coffee cake sounds and looks delicious! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Oh! This looks delicious!

Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

Megan said...

This looks so moist and delicious!!! I'm putting a link to this recipe in a post on crazydomestic.com on August 19th. Feel free to grab our "I was featured" button!

Corrina said...

I made this. It was awesome. So good that I posted it on my blog :
http://cassoncorner.blogspot.com. Check it out, I mentioned you! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin