Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Creating Ornaments

Christmas of 1992, I decided I should make ornaments for my friends.  I think this was the first time I made them as gifts for people.  At the time I was working at Wendy's and a bunch of my friends worked there with me.  Instead of just making them for just my friends, I made them for everyone who worked there.  I thought that I might hurt some people's feelings if they didn't get an ornament....I wanted to be fair and nice.  I sat in my mom's sewing room and created many many little salt dough bears for everyone.
After they were baked, I sealed them with varnish.  My father made this for us to hang our ornaments on so they could dry after varnishing them.  I am taking the drips off the bears feet with a wooden chopstick, so there are no bumps.
I am still amazed that I made that many of them for everyone.  I still have a tiny box with a few left overs in my basement.
You can read more about my salt dough ornament adventures, see a finished bear and get the recipe to make your own here.

A 
Day With TwoFriday Photo FlashbackFlashback 
Friday Button
Way Back When-esday posts at Twinfatuation.
My Signature

6 Sweet Comments:

BigBearswife said...

oo my those little teddy bears are soo cute!!

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

very cute

The Social Frog said...

What a great post! I made ornaments one year with my sister, maybe 15 years ago but we did not varnish them and after time they were not so pretty anymore,lol.

Wendy Irene (Give Love Create Happiness) said...

I love the old picture! I still have one of my hard rock t-shirts :) I also love that you made a bear for everyone! That is incredibly sweet.

Adori Graphics said...

wow that's cool! What a great post :)

Annette Piper said...

Wow, so creative and with so much attention to detail at so young an age - meant to be!?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin