Friday, December 11, 2009

Aloha Friday #8

It is Aloha Friday! In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that people take it easy and look forward to the weekend.

alohafriday1
Therefore, I’ll ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response. If you’d like to participate, just post your own question on your blog and leave your comment below and link in Kailani’s blog. Don’t forget to visit the other participants! It’s a great way to make new bloggy friends!

This weeks question is:
Real tree or fake tree, white lights or colored?

My tree is fake & it has colored lights. My husband bought 2 fake trees from Target about 6yrs ago at 90% off...he paid @ $17.00 for both of them. The second tree I haven't used yet...but it never hurts to have a back-up.

The angel on top of the tree my mom made me for my bridal shower. Most of the ornaments on the tree this year are the kid's. Each of my children have their own boxes with their own ornaments & decorations. My mother started that tradition with my sister and I. Each year we would get ornaments and she would write down what they were & the year. When I moved out I took my box with me. I have LOTS of ornaments.

You see the wreath...I made that a couple weeks ago. I saw it here, and had to make one. I bought the ornaments at the dollar store and had some extra gold ones I had bought years ago. I love how it turned out. Make sure you glue all the tops on the bulbs first. Just string them one by one on a coat hanger bent in a circle...then wallah, pretty wreath. I bought other colors to make a second one I am going to put in my hall window.

All that snow from the last post, here, melted by Wed afternoon. We had lots of rain...then the winds came. That nasty storm that has hit most of the country finally hit us Wednesday night. Yesterday we received 15inches of snow where I live in West Seneca (next to S. Buffalo border). Most of the day I could not see across the street. Here is a video of what I saw most of the day. (I did not take it.)



Currently this storm has moved just south of where I live. My son has school today...he was hoping for another snow day.



I have a favor to ask of my blog readers. I entered my swirly santa ornament in the Michaels Handmade Holiday Contest. I would LOVE to win. (who wouldn't?) Would you please go here and give me 5 snowmen. No need to register...just click through and click 5 snowman (under the picture of my santa click on the last snowman). Thanks a bunch!!

Please note: You can vote once a day.




My Signature

32 Sweet Comments:

Michelle said...

Idiotically, since we live in ten acres of evergreen forest, we have a fake tree. We bought when we lived in Hawaii. Fortunately it is on its last Christmas. The kids knocked it over too many times and the base broke this year.

Scrap for Joy said...

Hi Melanie~
I just wanted to let you know that I received my adorable little house ornament and it's already on the tree! Your work has wonderful detail (I did vote for your Santa!)and I'm glad you dated it. Stay warm...we have dodged the snow so far here in Pittsburgh but it is really cold!
Have a very Merry Christmas!
My answers: (New pre-lit YAY)faux tree with white lights. I think the lights thing has to do with what we had growing up. Your ornament wreath is a beauty!
Joyce

Lauranie said...

WHOA...that is ALOT of snow!!! Hope you are staying safe and warm!! Love your tree!! Kids ornaments is the BEST!! I am very particular about my tree..it HAS to be real and when we go, I pick it out. It has to pass my "will-it-stand-up-to-kid-torture" test!! :D So far, I have not picked a bad one! I use mostly white lights with a sprinkling of red and green up the middle following the trunk..LOVE the effect. And I wrap my lights around each branch...no need for lamps while the Christmas Tree is lit up!! :D I have a few baubles that I've bought to dress it up, but mostly it is pictures of family, kid's crafts, some handmade goodies from friends, and I LOVE the little glitter snowflakes. I put them toward the inside! Also, my folks buy an ornament every year for the kids, and I have some I got from my Granny's decorations before she passed. WHEW..sorry to go into so much detail...as you can see..I LOVE ME SOME CHRISTMAS TREE!! HA

Unknown said...

real tree with white lights...that was what I grew up with and the is what I love. It is agrivating to my Hubs because he (every year) asks for color lights and it is a big fat no!! LOL

Beedeebabee said...

Hi Melanie! I love your wreath and your tree! I love white or colored, real and fake. This year we have a fake one with mostly white lights, but I added a couple of strands of colored for my guys!
Hugs, =D

sheila said...

We did the same thing you did with the 90% off after Christmas sale and got our tree for $24. lol. It's the BEST TREE EVER! Pre lit with multi colored lights.

Wonderfully smart investment! LOVE your pics!

Anonymous said...

15 inches! Oh the joy of living where you do. So magical there in the wintertime.
Your wreath is darling and I love the colors you chose.
Sadly, we have a fake tree this year. Mr Man decided that it was too strenuous to lug a tree home. Bah humbug. Oh! And we have white lights on the tree but I fixed that by adding colored lights throughout the house. I like a twinkly house:)

Anonymous said...

Fake tree with white lights. Thanks for stopping over at my Aloha Friday.

Anonymous said...

We've got a fake tree right now but when we buy our own house we might try a real tree. Currently colored lights - but I think white lights are really pretty, too!

Kimberly said...

Gosh that's some snow. I'm jealous. All we have here is the cold - minus the white stuff. :)

We've done both fake trees and real in the past. This year we have fake ones with white twinkling lights. Blue are my favorite though

Annie said...

Is a fiber optic tree (fake) with colors.

Have a great weekend.

Kiki said...

love that wreath. i just might copy the look and make that next year. yay, project! we have a real tree with white lights. we got it last weekend and usually keep it up until the 2nd week in January. aloha and take care.

Together We Save said...

We have a fake tree... I would love a real one but I want it up to long for it to be safe. White lights. I love that wreath of ornaments. It is beautiful.

Susan Cook said...

Fake tree this year with colored lights.

We got about 11 inches of snow the other day and it doesn't look like it's melting anytime soon!

Have a great weekend :)

Kimberly@PrettyPinkMomma said...

I voted for you! I have a big fake tree with colored lights. I used to insist on real trees but I have to admit this one has grown on me.

I the wreath idea! I totally want to do it - thanks for sharing it!

Laufa said...

Fake tree, because we found out one year that my hubby and son are allergic to the real thing. We have white, but we put colored outside.

Anonymous said...

We get real and colored. And I hope I voted for you :) I clicked under the ornament. It's real cute by the way. Have a wonderful Friday :)

Colette S said...

We have a fake tree. It keeps longer and at the chance we do get to travel to see family, they usually have a real tree. Smells good.

Your tree is beautiful! and the wreathe is lovely!

Robin said...

No tree - we have a Hannukah menorah :).

Shelly said...

We go with the fake tree. Just bought a new one last year prelighted which saves tons of time. And it's in 3 peices so it's so much easier them out last one where we had to put all the branches in one by one.

And you know we probably live close to each other. I too live in sbuffalo/ west Seneca. In fact my house is directly on the border between the 2 cities. :)

Serendipity is Sweet said...

We have a fake tree though I prefer real ones. Small white lights too. Your decorations are so pretty!

Pesky Cat Designs said...

Hi Melanie,

Just voted for your lovely Santa again.
What a beautiful tree with very lovely decorations! I saw a white tree decorated with blue ornaments the other day that I really loved. But then I saw a green tree with lovely colorful ornaments and I loved that one too!

MadeInCanarias said...

Real, with colored lights.

Liz Mays said...

We have a fake tree with white lights. But outside, I like colored lights!

Anonymous said...

I've tagged you! http://www.kiddiescornerdeals.com/2009/12/christmas-tag.html

Pretty Things said...

We have a fake tree, and it's white, with white lights, but decorated in bright colors. My then three-year old son decided we had to have a white tree, and we've used it ever since. This year we strung pop beads as a garland and used wild, bright colored snowflakes and glittered balls. I've been trying to get decent snaps of it for my blog but it's been tough!

Mozi Esme said...

Fake tree - very small - no lights - we've turned it into a Jesse tree this year... I miss real ones, though.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

We do fake tree...white lights. I would love to do real, but it's too much with a toddler and fur babies!

Annie said...

Sorry it took me all weekend to get to your post! But here I am :)

I love fake trees with white lights the best. We had a real tree once but it was so messy....plus you have the hassle of cutting down a new tree every year....(some ppl enjoy that part, I don't)

I hope you are staying warm!

jaime said...

I'm a late commenter :)

We do fake trees, and as of this year we do white lights. It's what the husband prefers...before now, I did colored lights.

Anonymous said...

I love your tree and your wreath!! Thanks for the detail on how to make one, I think it might be my weekend project!

~ Noelle said...

when the hubby is home, real tree... since he is not here right now...
FAKE!
Going to buy a fake pre-lit one at some point...
always white lights~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin