Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday Citar



If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. ~Vincent Van Gogh

My staycation adventures... PART 1

During my staycation we went to Olcott. Olcott is a small town on Lake Ontario, north of where I live. It is a beautiful little town. The view of the lake is GORGEOUS!! I also fell in love with these cosmos that were growing up through stones in front of a beach house. Nature is truly beautiful!


There were a bunch of adorable little shoppes. Unfortunately most of them were closed on Monday. We did get in a couple of them though. The yellow shoppe in the photo below had the prettiest chandelier.


On the way home, we decided to check out The Winery at Marjim Manor. The winery features wines made from fruit grown in local orchards. We tasted a bunch and they were yummy!! Marjim Manor, formerly called Appleton Hall is a 9500 square foot mansion built in the 1800's. While there we were told of the facinating history of this grand manor...

"In the 1820's Shubal Merritt began building a house for his wife and family. Tragically, his wife died just prior to the completion of the home. Shubal moved his children in and they lived there for some time. The paranormal history seems to begin with the reported tragic, accidental death of his son Lewis in the building. As Shubal cleaned his gun after a hunting expedition, his son came through the french doors. The gun went off, and his son died. Thereafter, at 3:00 pm the doors would swing open as if heralding the approach of the doomed son." I found this except here if you would like to read more about the haunting. A reporter at the Niagara Falls Reporter wrote this interesting article about the haunted farm.


Thank you for stopping by Sunday Citar! This blog quote meme was created by Fresh Mommy. You can stop by her blog to see the quotes and photos that she and everyone else is loving right now.

Don't forget to enter my giveaway, here.

15 Sweet Comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are right. Though I lament aver not going to Paris, I have not seen the beauty of the entire state in which I live.
I think maybe I should go on a photo-cation and adjust my little attitude. Thank you :)

The story about the winery is amazing! I'm going to visit the links when I've time.
So were you there at 3 P.M.?

Ooty said...

looks like such a lovely day!! Great pics!

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

How beautiful!!!! I love that - a staycation! :-)

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

Great pictures :)

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

stunning photos :)

Anonymous said...

Your photos are gorgeous!!

Cascia Talbert said...

That looks like a beautiful place to visit. I couldn't help but notice the old Singer sewing machine. It looks just like the one that my mom has.

Tabitha Blue said...

Love the quote! And what a beautiful place full of so many wonderful things!! Lovely staycation.

:)
~Tabitha

Kelli said...

Beautiful photos!!! Looks like a lovely staycation!

Margo Sue Bittner said...

Glad you enjoyed your stop. We will have new vintages of Lady of the Manor and 100 Windows soon, so please come visit again. Of course, you never know what new spiritual encounters we can also relate!
Margo (The Mar of Marjim)

gwengoods said...

wonderful pictures!

septembermom said...

Beautiful photos! Wonderful quote too!

Muthering Heights said...

It looks like such a beautiful place!

Pesky Cat Designs said...

Love this post! Looks like you had such a lovely vacation. It makes me long for one. Since I am a big fan of the the Ghost Hunters it was fun reading about Shubal Meritt's mansion. I wonder if that old sewing machine starts up by itself at times! :)

Unknown said...

What great pictures! I love the view and the flowers too! Looks like you had a good trip, too spooky about the ghost stories though! Thanks for sharing it!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin